General Tax Information
The tax rate for personal property and real estate is set by the Board of Supervisors each spring when preparing the budget for the new fiscal year which begins July 1. Real estate and personal property taxes are billed semi-annually. The due dates are December 5th and June 5th:
- The December statement is mailed in October and due by December 5th. A late payment penalty of 10% is added on December 6th and interest at the rate of 10% per year is added beginning on December 6th.
- The June statement is mailed in April and due by June 5th. A late payment penalty of 10% is added on June 6th and interest at the rate of 10% per year is added beginning on June 6th.
Mail postmarked on December 5th and June 5th is accepted without penalty. Failure to receive a tax bill will not relieve you of your obligation to pay taxes to Mecklenburg County. If you do not receive a statement for any property that you own, please contact the Treasurer's Office immediately.
Code of Virginia §58.1-3913 states that unless otherwise provided by ordinance, any payment of real estate or personal property taxes must be applied to the most delinquent account. Therefore, when a taxpayer sends in payment for current personal property owed, if that taxpayer also owes delinquent personal property taxes, the payment will be applied to the delinquent taxes. The same applies to real estate tax payments.
Personal property tax statements and real estate tax statements may be combined and paid with one check. Accepted forms of payment include cash, check, money order, and credit or debit card:
- Checks and money orders should be made payable to: County of Mecklenburg. Any checks returned for insufficient funds will incur a $35 service charge. Also, our office has the convenience of a drop-off box outside of our office door.
- Taxes may also be paid online. You may pay online with a credit or debit card or by e-check.
- You may also pay by credit or debit card or by e-check by calling toll-free 855-748-3306.
Change of Address
If you have an address change, please update the address on your statement when you send your remittance or notify the Commissioner of Revenue at 434-738-6191.